Singing Dank Witchery

 “…when the second moon blossomed into fullness, Danlyn and his sister Danla sang into their blue stones a dank witchery.”

Terry Tafoya, “A Legend of the Hellers”~

I wish I could tell you that the above quote has some deeper meaning and changed my life, but really I just thought the phrase “dank witchery” sounded fun.

This blog will mostly be about Dungeons & Dragons and Dungeons-&-Dragons-like games. I reserve the right to write about other topics when such a mood strikes me.

Technically, my first introduction to Dungeons & Dragons was reading the Dragonlance trilogy in middle school, sometime in the early 2000’s. However, at the time, I was not aware that those books had anything to do with a game. So, my real introduction was in 2013, when a friend’s relative stopped playing and mailed him her gamebooks, thinking he might enjoy them. In retrospect, this may have just been that relative getting rid of her 4th edition books in anticipation of the upcoming release of 5th edition. Or maybe she switched to Pathfinder. I don’t know.

No-one in our small circle of nerd friends had ever played a role-playing game before, but we gave it a shot and it quickly became the default thing to do when we were hanging out together. I became the dungeon master by default, simply by being the most enthusiastic about the idea. Not long thereafter, I did a Google search for something like “dungeon master advice.” If I had done this today, the first page of results would have been mostly lazy listacles, and to this day I probably would be a much worse dungeon master for it. Instead, this search led me into the OSR blogosphere. I have been lurking on RPG blogs ever since, rarely so much as commenting. The way I see it, if I enjoy RPG blogs so much, I ought to contribute one myself. So here I am.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

'Neath a Crimson Throne, Session XVI (The Conclusion)

'Neath a Crimson Throne, Session XV

'Neath a Crimson Throne, Session XIII